Saturday, April 4, 2009

First Friday Fractals

The first friday of every month, the fractal foundation, puts up one of the most entertaining and psychedelic shows I have ever seen.  Simon Mehalek took all six Santa Fe students, plus Nick and his friend Drew, JP Gonzales and me to see first friday fractals at the Albuquerque Museum of Natural History.  Jonathan Wolfe sure can make math fun!  It's the kind of thing that can make a huge difference in a young child's mind (in more ways than one)...  Made me revisit my MIT essays on the fractal dimension of the urban landscape and I already proposed a collaboration with Jonathan and Kim Sorvig on my original dissertation topic on visual preferences in the built environment.
Imagine watching the video below while laying completely reclined in a comfortable chair, staring at a planetarium dome with the fractal movie taking up the entire field of vision!  
Fractastic!

No comments: