Thursday, September 11, 2008

Being Venetian on 9/11

I thought it was interesting that on the 7th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, I was myself the target of a personal attack in the local media in Spencer, Massachusetts, where I live, because I am not a citizen of the U.S. (although I am a resident alien), while at the same time I chair the town's Planning Board. The issue, which was eventually resolved based on the opinion of the town's legal counsel, has became the focus of vehement discussions on the online forums, where sophomoric xenophobic comments are mixed with civilized opinions about civic engagement in the affairs of the town. In that respect, Spencer represents a fairly accurate cross-section of the America that will be called to the ballot boxes in a couple of months. It will be interesting to see how the vote will turn out, locally as well as nationally. Being a foreigner, I will once again have to sit on the sidelines and watch democracy unfold. After this experience, however, I vow to be a registered voter by the next election, so that I will not only be taxed, but also represented. Otherwise, I'll have to find out where Spencer keeps its tea... so we can have a party with it. And thank God nobody caught on to the fact that I am actually a Venetian first and foremost, and only secondarily an Italian...